UNITED METHODIST WOMEN
ST. JAMES UNITED METHODIST WOMEN
Together We Can Do All Things – Philippians 4:13
The United Methodist Women of St. James are women dedicated to ministering to the needs of women, children, and youth locally, nationally and around the world. We come together to fight injustices such as human trafficking, domestic violence, immigration rights and illiteracy. We are women of informed action and advocacy. We are edgy, giving, loving, unreasonable, compassionate, faithful, daring and courageous.
The organized unit of UNITED METHODIST WOMEN shall be a community of women whose PURPOSE is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
The Local Organization
Unit meetings are held on the 2nd Sunday of the month at 9:45 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall of the Church. Circles meet at various times. Eighty percent (80%) of our funds are pledged to the United Methodist Women for the support of women, children and youth. Activities from the past year include:
- Donations were made to local charity organizations such as New House for Battered Women, reStart, Della Lamb Neighborhood House and Neighbor to Neighbor.
- Funds were given to the local church, Church Women United.
- Bettylu’s Closet donated clothing to men, women and children.
- Book Scholarship given to female high school graduate.
- Distributed funds for Ashley Love Fund to local persons struggling with cancer.
For Membership information contact Bobbie Faulkner at 816.822.0299
- Dorcas Circle – a chronic illness support group—Contact Lynda Moore-Walker at 816.358.5060.
- Crochet Circle – makes and donates baby items to Truman Med—Contact Beverly Clemons at email@example.com.
- Bettylu’s Closet – gives clothes away to community—Contact Bobbie Faulkner at 816.822.0299.
- Courageous Women – an ad hoc group for special projects—Contact Carolyn Celestine at 816.820.6015.
- Reading Circle – reads and reports on mission related books—Contact Cynthia Bennett at 816.803.4266
|President – Tracy Milsap
Vice President – Doris Crawford
Secretary – Debra Cunningham
Treasurer – Carolyn Celestine
Spiritual Growth Coordinator – Linda Jackson
Social Action Coordinator – Farilen Coates
Education and Interpretation – Ruth Turner
|Membership Nurture and Outreach – Jeanette Sander-Eagan
Secretary Program Resources – Gwen Goins
Committee on Nominations Chairperson – Theresa Thomas
Committee on Nominations Members – Alice Ellison
Communication Coordinator – Debra Cunningham
The Missouri Conference consists of nine districts within Missouri: Gateway Central, Gateway Regional, Heartland, Mark Twain, Mid-State, Ozarks, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest. St. James is a part of the Heartland District which encompasses units in the Kansas City metropolitan area: Grandview, Independence, Kansas City, Raytown and Sugar Creek. For more information www.moumethodist.org
The South Central Jurisdiction UMW has 13 conferences: Arkansas, Great Plains, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Oklahoma Indian Missionary, Rio Grande, Texas, Central Texas, North Texas, Northwest Texas and Southwest Texas. United Methodist Women from 13 conferences in the South Central Jurisdiction assemble every 4 years to celebrate, to lift up, to learn, and to return to their communities better equipped for mission. Tens of thousands of women have been meeting in this fashion since 1942 in a unified effort to stay at the forefront of the work being done both locally and globally, both systemically and in charity, to improve and sustain the lives of women, children and youth. For more information http://www.gbgm-umc.org/scjurisdictionumw
United Methodist Women is the largest denominational faith organization for women with approximately 800,000 members whose mission is fostering spiritual growth, developing leaders and advocating for justice. For more information www.unitedmethodistwomen.org.